What is a Smart Work Zone System SWZS?
A system that uses technology to gives motorists real-time traffic information to increase safety and allow them to make safer, more efficient driving choices as they approach a work zone.
What Makes it “Smart”?
These systems are called smart because they use technology, such as radar, Blue-tooth, cameras, and computer systems to monitor traffic and provide real-time information. The systems can provide information to travelers right when they need it, most commonly on roadside changeable message signs or flashing road signs (In addition, websites, email alerts, etc, can be used to allow better decision-making before starting on a trip).
However, the real reason these systems are smart is because of the benefits they can provide, Saving Lives, Money and Time, and Reducing Driver Frustration.
If properly designed and implemented, SWZ systems can:
- Reduce Accidents and Save Lives by making work zones safer for highway workers and motorists.
- Better inform motorists and reduce their frustrations
- Encourage motorists to take alternate routes
- Reduce congestion and allow more freely flowing traffic
- Clear incidents more quickly, thereby reducing secondary incidents