QLynx Intersection can help reduce harmful or fatal traffic accidents at unsignalized intersections.
- 72% of intersection fatalities occur at unsignalized intersections. (3)
- 27-32% reduction in crashes after system installed. (1, 2)
- 12 state DOTs have systematically studied and installed these systems. (2, 4)
QLynx Intersection is a portable automated, real time traffic system designed to aid motorists approaching unsignalized intersections with limited sight distance. This system provides real time information that helps motorists to decide when it is safe to proceed through the intersection. Portable changeable message signs are used to inform motorists of approaching vehicles. The system senses approaching vehicles and immediately activates the changeable message signs in the minor road. QLynx Intersection uses real time data from non-intrusive sensors and determines the speeds and positions of the vehicles approaching the intersection. The systems’ intelligent algorithm determines the duration of the messages to be displayed to motorists.
The potential benefits of an intelligent intersection collision avoidance system include reduction of collision rates and improvement of motorists safety at unsignalized intersections with limited sight distance where physical improvement and installation of traffic signals are not currently viable.
Additionally, QLynx Intersection:
- Can be integrated with cameras that can bring live pictures of the highway to the internet.
- Can allow remote control of the system from any place.
Major Components of QLynx Intersection:
- Non-intrusive sensors
- Wireless Communication
- Mobile solar-powered trailers
- Changeable message signs
Expected Benefits of QLynx Intersection:
- Makes intersections safer for motorists
1. Missouri DOT Intersection Warning System Before-After Study Results, 2009, hGp://www.enterprise.prog.org/Projects/2010_Present/developingconsistencyIWS/MOIWSBeforeAfterStudy.pdf
2. ENTERPRISE Developing Consistency in ITS Safety Solutions – Intersection Conflict Warning Systems, 2011, hGp://www.enterprise.prog.org/Projects/2010_Present/developingconsistencyIWS/ICWS%20Characteristics%20Summary %20122011.pdf
3. FHWA, Safety at Unsignalized Intersections, 2007, hGp://safety.[wa.dot.gov/intersection/unsignalized/presentations/unsig_pps_041409/long.pdf