PDP’s Premier Smart Work Zone Systems are designed to:
- Help reduce automotive accidents and fatalities
- Save motorists from costly vehicle-hours stuck in traffic
- Reduce driver frustration related to slowed traffic around work-zones or other congested areas.
The cost to society of these issues is large. 2012, FHWA work zone data:
- 1,200 deaths and 40,000 injuries
- 482,000,000 vehicle hours lost in driver delay time in work zones
- Translating to $6,500,000,000 in lost time alone.
- By collecting accurate and real-time speed information and warning drivers ahead of the work zone, PDP’s Smart Work Zone systems can help save lives and reduce hours lost waiting in traffic.
PDP’s intelligent network of sensors and portable message boards automatically detect and disseminate real-time traffic information for end of queue warning, travel time and speed ahead display. Travel time, alternate route, or speed ahead warnings are displayed on road-side message boards, as well as the project website. In addition, PDP camera systems can be integrated into any system for real-time viewing of traffic conditions by the TMC and the traveling public. Different messaging types are available in the smart work zone system, including:
Each Smart Work Zone System is portable and automated and works as part of PDP’s Smart Work Zone Network, which processes the data, provides calculation and error correction, monitors equipment, and sends information to the message boards and project website. Operators can monitor and control message boards and other equipment directly from the project website, including making manual message overrides as needed. Real-time automated system monitoring allows PDP to immediately respond to and correct any equipment malfunctions, thus avoiding system down-time. The website also allows the status of all equipment to be confirmed at any time.
Each premier smart work zone system detects and records real-time traffic information, including speed, volume, and occupancy data. Graph data for each can be downloaded at any time from the project website.
PDP provides complete, working systems. All system installations and training are performed by trained PDP staff. We are experts at every aspect of smart work zone systems, including roadside equipment, hardware, software, and systems integration. We will never just ship out equipment and leave you struggling to make the system work.
Read more about each messaging system:
Travel Time and Delay Notifications: TIPS – Travel Information Prediction System
Speed Ahead Slow Down Warnings: ASIS – Advanced Speed Information System
Alternate Route Suggestions Under Congested Conditions: CMAS – Congestion Monitoring and Advisory System