DynamicMerge advises motorists to merge at an earlier point during free-flow conditions, thus allowing smoother merge patterns, but at a later point during congested conditions, thus increasing roadway carrying capacity and helping prevent back-ups. DynamicMerge is a portable, automated, real-time smart work zone system that monitors vehicular speeds and traffic congestion at different points on a freeway in order to indicate the optimal merge point.
Conventional merge system is designed to encourage drivers to merge early into the open lane and late merge system is designed to encourage drivers to use both lanes until they reach the lane closure taper. When the congestion level reaches a certain threshold, all Changeable Message Signs are activated. The CMS farthest from the lane closure taper displays the message ” STOPPED TRAFFIC AHEAD — USE BOTH LANES”. The next CMS sign displays “USE BOTH LANES — MERGE AHEAD” and the CMS closest to the lane closure taper displays “TAKE TURNS — MERGE HERE”. When the congestion level falls to certain level and traffic speed increases, the signs are deactivated and the system returns to the conventional merge system that encourages early merge.
- Each changeable message sign or solar-powered trailer individually integrated with the system.
- Allows remote control of the system from anywhere.
- Allows manual override of the messages displayed on the signs. For example, the user can remotely display special messages, such as “ACCIDENT AHEAD”; or “FREEWAY CLOSED AT RT XXX”, when a quick and effective incident management tool is needed.
- Provides real-time information on the internet so it can be seen viewed from rest areas, truck stops, office complexes, and large traffic generators.
- PDPCam systems can be added to bring live pictures of the highway to the internet.