ASIS is a portable, automated, real-time smart work zone system that calculates vehicular speeds at downstream locations on a freeway and displays the most appropriate speed information on portable changeable message signs at upstream locations. By providing accurate and real-time speed information in advance of their arrivals, this system assists motorists to adjust their speeds according to the most current traffic conditions and reduce the element of “surprise” that often leads to rear-end crashes.
ASIS can be used on any freeway that experiences congestion – with or without work zones. The real-time speed information can be displayed on large, permanent overhead variable message signs, if necessary.
- Each changeable message sign or solar-powered trailer is integrated with a sensor and cellular modem mounted on it and acts as a single “device” for the purpose of communicating with similarly integrated “devices” and displaying real-time traffic condition information. Each device is capable of directly communicating through cellular modems with other device(s) at upstream or downstream locations.
- Signs are placed in series at previously determined locations along the freeway. At least one sign and one solar-powered trailer are needed for the operation of ASIS. However, any number of signs can be added as necessary.
- Uses broadband cellular wireless communications among all devices for quick, reliable data transfer.
- Allows remote control of the system from any place.
- Allows manual override of the messages displayed on the signs. For example, the user can remotely display special messages, such as “ACCIDENT AHEAD”; or “FREEWAY CLOSED AT RT XXX”, when a quick and effective incident management tool is needed.
- Provides real-time information on the internet and in rest areas, truck stops, office complexes, and large traffic generators.
- Integrates cameras that can bring live pictures of the highway to the internet.